Thursday 28 February 2013

Northern Italy Part Tre ~ Como

Como is situated at the bottom of Lake Como and you can reach it via train from Milan. The train travels through the town, right next to the road and drops you practically on the lakeside.

Lake Como, Italy

The cloud was hanging really low on the day that we visited in April but I love the effect it gives in this photo. You also got wonderful glimpses of the mist-shrouded mountain in between the closely packed buildings.

Como, Italy

We took the funicular up to Bernate. It was almost like a ghost town. I don't know if this was due to it being off season or beause it was the time when all the shops were closed for "siesta". I did notice that wherever we went, there were a lot of buildings which looked slightly shabby. Possibly due to the economic climate?

Nobody Lives Here Anymore
Nobody Lives Here Anymore
Como was the most touristy place that we visited but this didn't detract from it's charm. I was surprised by how many of the Italians didn't speak to us in English. I don't know if that's because we were giving their language a try. Como was the only place where one shop keeper spoke to us in English.

Lake Como, Italy

This photo below was taken in the piazza where Como's Duomo was. This sums up the mediterranean lifestyle for me. Cafe chairs and tables in the square. Looks good even in the drizzle. I love the balconies.

Como Piazza, Italy

If you love architecture, art, food, scenery and walking, I would recommend that you visit Milan and it's surrounding areas. I say walking because even though mostly it was a city break, you can never underestimate how much walking you'll do, even if you use the public transport as well.

I've just touched on a few places that we visited, but I hope you enjoyed reading and looking at the photos!
Thank you, Gillian.

All of the images are available as prints or greetings cards. Please contact me for details.

You may also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Why don't you leave me a message to let me know you stopped by?

If you have any questions about purchasing any of the images or prints, please email me.

gillian@gilliancrossphotography.co.uk